- I'm super busy and I don't have time to answer applications. What should I do?
We understand. To help our busy hosts, we've come up with a few things to help:
1) Download our app "Worldpackers Inbox for Hosts"
Use our app to respond to travelers anytime, from anywhere.
2) Add team members to your account
You do not have to take care of everything by yourself. Add more people to your account to help you manage everything on the platform. Each person on your team will have their own login and password, with the same features as your main account.
To add a team member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll take care of this as quickly as possible!
- I'm not receiving enough applications. Why?
There are several factors that can influence the number of applications you receive.
1) The shorter the length of stay, the more applications you will receive.
Most of our worldpackers can only travel on their college or work vacations, which means they usually have 4 weeks or less available to live this experience. Reduce the minimum length of stay where possible.
2) Do not set any requirement that are not 100% necessary.
The more requirements you add, the fewer people that see your position. So when you're creating or editing the position, keep an eye on the reach bar. The higher the percentage, the more travelers able to see and apply to your position.
3) View how travelers see your profile.
Are the pictures beautiful? Can travelers actually see what the place looks like? And the description you wrote? Does it sound interesting and reliable to you?
Travelers cannot wait to start their experience and want to know everything before they apply. So choose photos that show how your place really is, including where they will sleep. Also, be honest when describing your place and the position.
4) Make sure your calendar has available dates for travelers to apply.
Make sure your calendar is available to receive applications. You can add more vacancies for the months which you may need extra people. An up-to-date calendar saves you time because you will only receive applications for when you actually need volunteers!
5) A good position offers at least accommodation, one meal and free laundry.
6) Some cities and countries are more popular among our travelers than others.
If you're in a touristy area, you'll probably receive more applications. Besides that, most of our travelers are from Latin America and Europe and they tend to apply more to places that are in the same continent.
In this case, there is nothing you can do to solve this, but it is important that you understand this may be the case for some locations. We assure you that we are working hard to bring more and more travelers to our platform, to promote less touristy destinations and to provide volunteers wherever they are needed.
- Do I have to accept everyone who contacts me?
No. You can choose only people who are a good fit with your project. When a traveler applies, you have access to their profile. If the traveler is not quite what you are looking for, it's okay to decline the application. This way, the traveler will know that he or she needs to search for another host.
Remember that you do not need to make a decision right away on the first message. Select the "write back" option to ask for more information about the traveler.
Just be sure to submit a pre-approval when you are sure you want to receive that person. This is the only way that the traveler can confirm the trip within Worldpackers, entitling them to 24-hour support, Worldpackers insurance (in case something goes wrong) and the right to write and receive reviews at the end of the experience.
Reviews are super important, since the more reviews you have, the more attractive your profile looks for future volunteers.
Extra Tip: You can set up screening questions to each position. This means that when the traveler applies, (s)he has to answer those questions. This saves your time!
To set up screening questions, simply go to "Positions" and then click on "screening questions".
- Travelers are not responding to me. Am I doing something wrong?
Not necessarily, but please note that:
1) You have 4 days to respond to the traveler's first message. If you do not respond, the conversation will expire. Most travelers apply to more than one host, to increase the chances of success. This means that if you take too long to answer, it is very likely that the traveler will confirm the trip with another host. So the fastest you answer, the highest the chances of confirming a trip!
2) It's important to send a friendly welcome message.
Maybe you loved the traveler's profile and you really want them to come, but if you answer something like "Hey Sarah, you're welcome" and nothing else, it doesn't seem legit or safe enough to the traveler. So, instead, try something more like "Hello Sarah, how nice that you are interested in collaborating at our place. I liked your profile and the dates you suggested are great. I will pre-approve your request and if you have any questions, just ask!"
Much better, right? ;)
- Travelers are contacting me outside Worldpackers. What should I do?
We strongly recommend that you do not accept people who contact you outside Worldpackers.
Travelers might contact you through emails or Facebook message to avoid paying the Worldpackers fee.
Why do we charge a fee?
In the beginning, Worldpackers was free for both hosts and travelers. We had a huge problem back then: many travelers applied to various hosts, confirmed the trip and then never showed up.
It was terrible, so to increase commitment and select people who are really looking for an experience (not just a free bed), we decided to start charging a small fee at the time of confirmation. This has significantly reduced the number of no shows and has increased people's commitment to what was agreed upon on the platform.
In addition, the fee is how Worldpackers make money. Without it, we wouldn't be able to find more incredible hosts for our travelers, and more responsible travelers for our hosts.
What does the traveler get when (s)he pays?
24-hour support, Worldpackers insurance (we pay up to 3 nights accommodation at another host if something goes wrong) and the right to write and receive reviews at the end of the experience. This is great for the traveler, who can build a reputation on the website and be more easily accepted by future hosts. And it's incredible for you as well, since the more positive reviews you have, the more travelers you'll attract.
Worldpackers offers several discounts and sometimes the trip can end up being free. Ask the person who contacted you outside Worldpackers to create a profile as a traveler and apply to your position.
- I’ve already found a volunteer. How do I close my position?
There is no need to close your position if you'll need someone in the next few months. You can simply update your calendar, block the dates when you don't need volunteers and plan ahead. This way you'll always have someone ready to help you out.
If you do not know when you'll need another worldpacker, go to Profile -> Positions -> Edit -> Close Position.
You can reopen it when you want, just follow the same steps and click on "reopen position".
- I can't find travelers who are a good fit with my project.
For very specific projects, it might be hard to find people who are a good fit. Worldpackers has some ways to make this easier:
1) Screening questions
It allows you to set up two mandatory questions for travelers to respond when they are applying to each of your positions. This way you get straight to the point and can easily sort who's a good fit - and who's not.
To add screening questions, go to "positions" and then click on "screening questions".
Traveler and host can attach documents to the conversation. Just click on the paperclip icon and choose the file. Send forms, PDFs with more information and anything else you need.
3) Video application
Ask the traveler to record a video presenting themselves and responding to whatever you want. The video can be sent in the same conversation.
NOTE: This may decrease the amount of answers you get from travelers, as it's extra work for them.
4) Special Help
Tell us what you are looking for and we will help you get the most out of Worldpackers. Send an email to email@example.com and let us understand what you really need.
- I'm not receiving emails from the platform.
Usually, there are 3 reasons for this:
1) Emails are going to junk, spam or to the "promotions" tab. Make sure you mark them as "safe", so they'll be directed to your main inbox.
2) You may have unsubscribed from our emails. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining the situation. We'll take care of it right away!
3) There may have been a typo and the notification email is wrong. Note that the login email is not necessarily the same email that you chose to receive notifications.
Make sure you're checking the right email address. Go to "edit profile" and on the left-hand side, change "the best email to receive notifications" if you have to.
- Do I have to pay?
No. Worldpackers is free for hosts.
- Essential tips for you to get started
1) Most travelers have flexible dates. If the dates they have suggested are not good for you, suggest others!
2) Travelers usually apply to more than one host to increase the chances of being accepted. The faster you respond, the greater the chances of confirming the trip with a traveler.
And remember: the application expires after 4 days if you don't answer it!
3) Did you forget to answer and the application has expired?
You can reopen it, but it is likely that the traveler has already confirmed a trip with another host.
5) Remember that our travelers are looking for collaborative travel experiences, not for a job. Do not treat them as employees or offer any kind of remuneration.