How long do I have to answer an application?
When hosts receive an application, they have 4 days to reply the traveler. After that period, the message expires and the platform sends a message to travelers telling them to apply for other hosts, because it understands that the host is not looking for travelers right now.
In that way, we can deliver applications for the hosts who are available to receive them.
Why responding to applications improves your position
Because we want to deliver the best experience for our travelers, our Search System prioritizes hosts that have high Response and Acceptance Rate. That means that hosts who answer to most of applications and accepts more travelers are higher located in the Search Ranking and, the higher in the Ranking you are, the bigger are the chances of receiving applications.
What to do when I receive an application?
When you receive an application, you can:
1) Write them back to get to know them better and exchange as many messages as you wish to align expectations and see if they're a good fit with your place.
2) You can decline the application if for any reason you're not interested in receiving them. Declining an application is very important because that's the only way to let travelers know that they can look for other hosts. In that way, you're helping the Worldpacker to find a host that better fits with his needs and profile.
3) Pre Approve the Worldpacker's stay if you're sure about having him at your place. The Pre Approval means that you're 100% sure about receiving the traveler and, once pre approved, he can Confirm the Trip. The trip confirmation is crucial because that's the only way in which we can guarantee the necessary support and security. Also, when a traveler confirms a trip, he pays a Trip Confirmation Fee, which shows his engagement and commitment.
No matter how many messages you exchange, nothing is official if the trip is not confirmed. And that's why we recommend our hosts to not send their mobile number or email before the confirmation, because the only way to pre approve and confirm trip is through the Worldpackers website.
Tips to get to know the traveler
When recruiting travelers to live an experience at your place, it's not only necessary to find the ones who have the skills that you're looking for, it is also crucial to recruit travelers who have a good fit with your place's atmosphere and values.
There are 2 things that are crucial for you to understand and align with the travelers before pre approveing them:
- Understand the traveler's personality and motivation
- Align expectations about what the traveler should expect from your place
In the end, it's all about making the travelers aware of your place's vibe. In order to do that, Worldpackers offers many different features to help you save time and energy to recruit travelers.
If you start every conversation asking the same questions, it can be very useful for you to save time and energy when recruiting travelers. Screening Questions are questions that every traveler will have to answer at the moment they are applying to your place. That means that you'll know a lot about the traveler even before talking to them.
To setup your Screening Questions, access the Screening Questions sector in your Volunteer Positions.
Video Messages & Photos
Video messages and photos can be a very efficient way of knowing travelers and deciding if they're a good fit with your place, because you get to see how travelers think and expresses themselves. Besides that, you can also check if they have the language fluency that you're looking for your place. Travelers can record Youtube videos and send them directly in the conversation page in our platform.
We recommend you:
Ask 5 to 10 questions that you want to know about the traveler and ask them to answer in video
Travelers will send you a Video Message answering the questions directly in our website
Here is an actual video application from a traveler!
It's also possible to attach files directly in the conversations page. In that way, there is no need to keep exchange emails and have all the communication with travelers in one single place. Many of our hosts ask for the traveler's CV to understand more about their experience. Also, you can ask for the traveler's flight ticket before pre approving them.